Saturday 13 June 2009

Not for the feint hearted..

So, I have to tell you, yesterday wasn't one of the best days of my life. It started with the usual early alarm call, accompanied by a mild hangover and horrendous period pain.
That was nothing. At 11.30 there was a resounding thud from the lounge, followed by wailing. Herbie doesn't generally cry, so I knew it was bad. Turned out he'd fallen on the coffee table and had what the hospital later termed 'a laceration to the lip'. Part of it was hanging off like a bit of gristle and there was alot of blood. A very lot. I could lie and tell you that I'm a supremely practical mother and that I handled things with the utmost cool, but actually I struggled to hold it together. I didn't freak out but I could have done so much better. I also felt incredibly guilty.
Anyway to cut very long story short, the little man was finally taken into theatre to have 6 stitches at 8pm (we arrived at the hospital at 1pm), he hadn't been allowed food or drink in all that time, and frankly, we'd all had enough. Plus because it was so late, Herbie and I had to stay overnight, which is never an attractive option. But since visiting my dad in a Barbados hospital 3 years ago, I swore I would never criticise the NHS again, so I won't go on about it.

Anyway... we returned home at about 10am this morning, starving hungry and me feeling terribly dirty (couldn't ever do Glastonbury, need to wash my hair every day!) Herbie is fine. He's a bit bruised and very swollen, and he'll no doubt be left with a scar, but he's his usual chirpy self. I'd like to think that the experience had made him a little more cautious, but this afternoon he was caught attempting to follow Steve up a 15 ft ladder. Sigh- methinks this won't be the last incident of it's kind...

Finally I have to say a huge' Thank You' to my good friend Nina, who kindly picked up Buddy from school, fed him, looked after him and put him to bed alongside her own 2 children, until Steve was able to get there late last night. She'd probably wanted to go bed herself, so again thank you Nina, you're one in a million and I owe you (yet another) one.

5 comments:

  1. Poor little Herbster. I so wish we were closer so that I could have helped somehow although I would have certainly lost it. Now I just want to see the gory details of his lip!
    Hoping for a better day today. Missed you at Ma and Pa's yesterday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little thing. I hate that feeling of not being able to make things better for them. I remember being in hospital when my oldest was 6 and him whispering to me in the middle of the night "Shall we ask the nurse to take out my drip because I don't like it and we'll just go home." At least they forget pretty quickly. Good to see you've got him in stripes to cheer him up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awful, poor Herbie (love that name by the way, I had a friend called Herb when I was small) and poor you! Hope he is eating OK (his lip looks so sore) and feels better soon. Best wishes, Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was going on on Friday? Dreadful wasn't it? It wasn't even the thirteenth! So glad you are all better now. Fingers crossed for no more visits to A&E. I for one can well do without them. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey thanks for the mention truly LOVELY blog. sorry to hear of your A&E trip - i don't think any mums deal well with gushing blood - i certainly don't!! hope you like the samples when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete